Throw Kindness Like Confetti
Happy Valentine’s Day! For my card today, I wanted to share a card with Jar of Love that helps spread the spirit of Valentine’s Day all year long! Being kind, inclusive, supportive, welcoming, and all-around-loving never goes out of style.
Share how much you care every day!
Watercolor: the Technique that Keeps on Giving
When you experiment with watercolor techniques to create fully colored panels I always recommend that you watercolor a piece of paper larger than what you need for your card. There are two reasons for this:
- Watercolor techniques are unpredictable and you may like some parts better than others for your card. Having a larger piece allows you to crop the paper to show your very favorite part.
- You’ll have beautiful leftovers to use for the next card!
I made the watercolor portions of today’s card at the same time I created my Jar of Love Raised Glass Words card. I did a watercolor wash with Dapper Denim, smooshed on some Flirty Flamingo and Melon Mambo, then when it was dry, bleached out a few speckles by sprinkling on water and soaking it up again with a paper towel.
I made this lovely large sheet of paper, then only ended up using a tiny little piece. I couldn’t let this gorgeous paper go to waste, so I used it for one last Valentine!
Pouring Jar Directions
- First, decorate a piece of watercolor paper using Dapper Denim, Flirty Flamingo, and Melon Mambo. I used a wash, smooshing, and bleaching techniques on my paper.
- Stamp one medium jar from the Jar of Love stamp set onto Whisper White cardstock and another jar onto the watercolor paper. (Make sure you leave a larger corner of the watercolor paper intact.)
- Fussy cut the Whisper White jar around the outside edges. On the watercolor jar, fussy cut out the inner shape, just inside the glass walls of the jar.
- Place the watercolor jar inside the Whisper White jar. Determine the angle at which the jar should pour, then cut a straight diagonal line in the watercolor jar. Adhere it in place inside the Whisper White jar.
- Add a few highlights and reflections to the Whisper White glass jar using Flirty Flamingo and Dapper Denim Stampin’ Write Markers.
- First, cut and score a Night of Navy card base.
- Then, cut a Melon Mambo panel 3/4″ (1.8 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Cut a Whisper White panel 7/8″ (2.1 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Determine where the jar will be placed on the Whisper White panel and align a corner of the watercolor paper with the corner directly below the opening of the jar, this forms a little mountian.
- Adhere the mountain to the Whisper White panel. Flip it over and trim off any excess.
- Use dimensionals to attach the jar.
- Die cut many small hearts using the row of hearts die from the Everyday Jars framelits. Adhere these hearts inside the jar and all over the mountain as if they are pouring out of the jar. Try to place hearts in an area where their color contrasts against the background so they are more visible!
- Stamp the sentiment from Jar of Love in VersaMark ink onto a 1/2″ (1.2 cm) strip of Night of Navy cardstock. Sprinkle white embossing powder over the sentiment, then heat with a heat tool until the powder is melted.
- Trim the right edge of the banner at an angle and adhere one small heart to the banner as an accent.
- Line up the banner in the desired location, then trim any excess off of the left side. Attach the banner to the card using dimensionals.
- Finally, attach the fully decorated front panel to the card base using dimensionals.
Mixed Valentine Color Combination
This was one of my favorite color combinations for Valentine’s Day this year. It has some fun pinks to remind you of the season, but it is balanced by blues (and purples) so it isn’t too feminine. I love the rich colors that are created when water gets involved and the colors start mixing together!
Cardstock: Night of Navy, Melon Mambo, Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Watercolor paper
Ink: VersaMark, Dapper Denim, Melon Mambo, Flirty Flamingo (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Jar of Love (c) Stampin’ Up!
Dies: Everyday Jars Framelit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Flirty Flamingo, Dapper Denim Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: white embossing powder, heat tool, dimensionals, paintbrush or Aquapainter
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Cards You Might Enjoy
Click on a card to view the post about that individual card.