This Little Piggy Sneak Peek
Today you are in for a treat! This card is made with my very favorite of the new stamp sets I have gotten so far: This Little Piggy! I may be a little biased, since my grandparents and uncles are hog farmers and I grew up visiting real little piggies each summer. Even without that background, though, you have to admit these stamps are adorable!
This is the very first card I made when I got back from OnStage. I thought I had already posted it… but apparently I hadn’t! Anyway, as soon as I got home from OnStage, I started stamping with the This Little Piggy stamp set and adding watercolor. These adorable outline stamps are just begging to be colored or painted.
I used Stampin’ Write Markers to add an outline around each shape, then blended them in with a watercolor paintbrush (an Aqua Painter would also work). The spots on the brown pig were a little scribble with the skinny end of a Stampin’ Write Marker, blended with water.
There’s one more sneak peek in this card, can you spot it?
The sentiment comes from a new stamp set called Tabs for Everything. It coordinates with the new Circle Tab punch that is coming out soon, and it has lots of tiny images and sentiments that will fit perfectly on the little circular tabs. It’s a great set for memory keeping, planners, smash journals, and cardmaking, too!
Out with the Old, In with the New
This is a bittersweet time of year, as we say goodbye to retiring products. Some things have to go to make room for all the wonderful new things in the new 2017-2018 Annual Catalog!
These cards use two of my favorite retiring items: Lace Doilies and Cupcakes & Carousels Designer Series Paper. I had to use them (at least) one more time!
If you haven’t yet, check out the retiring list of Stampin’ Up! products. There are many items with big discounts to help clear out the inventory. Cupcakes & Carousels DSP is 40% off right now! Some products, like the Lace Doilies, are already gone. Act fast!
These cards are essentially exactly the same. There are some slight differences in color, but they use all the same steps. You can use these directions to make either card!
- First, cut a Crumb Cake card base.
- Then, cut a Whisper White panel 1/8″ (0.3 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Next, cut a piece of cloud patterned Cupcakes & Carousels Designer Series Paper 1/4″ (0.6 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Adhere these three layers together.
- On a piece of watercolor paper, stamp the flying pig image from the This Little Piggy set with black ink. See the tip below for more black ink tips.
- Color around the inside edge of the pig shapes with Stampin’ Write Markers, then blend the color toward the center of the shape using a watercolor paintbrush or Aqua Painter. It helps to let one area dry before starting another area. Use a heat tool to speed up the drying process. Here’s the colors I used:
- Brown pig: Crumb Cake, plus Soft Suede spots, Pink Pirouette for nose and ears
- Pink Pig: Pink Pirouette body, Wisteria Wonder shadow on stomach, Blushing Bride on nose and ears
- Wings: Soft Sky, Wisteria Wonder shading
- Fussy cut out the pigs when they are dry.
- Die cut a Crumb Cake circle using the Stitched Shapes Framelits. Position the pig and the circle, then stamp the sentiment from Tabs for Everything in Crumb Cake ink.
- Cut a strip of Whisper White about 1/2″ (1.2 cm) wide and a strip of Bermuda Bay OR Calypso Coral about 1/4″ (0.6 cm) wide.
- Trim the ends of both strips into banner shapes. The easiest way to so this is to cut a slit up the center of the strip, then cut a straight line from each corner to the top of the slit.
- Trim the outer edge off of a Lace Doily to make a smaller doily shape.
- Arrange the pig, doily, circle, and banners on the card. Adhere everything together. Use dimensionals for the circle and the pig to add depth to the card.
Waterproof inks, such as VersaMark and Archival black will not bleed when you watercolor, but you should take care to clean your stamps with alcohol free baby wipes right away after using them! Water based inks, such as Memento Tuxedo Black, may bleed a little with water but they are very gentle on your stamps.
Neutral with a Splash of Color
My cards today are each based on neutral colors with a splash of a brighter color in the background. Having just one main color adds a feeling of unity to a project. The neutrals, like Switzerland, clash with nobody. You could make this same exact card with any color paper in the background and it would still work great. Just make sure the pattern of the paper isn’t too loud, or it might take attention away from the Little Piggy focal point.
Cardstock: Bermuda Bay, Calypso Coral, Whisper White, Crumb Cake (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Cupcakes & Carousels Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Crumb Cake (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: NEW This Little Piggy, NEW Tabs For Everything (c) Stampin’ Up!
Dies: Stitched Shapes Framelit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Pink Pirouette, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Soft Sky, Wisteria Wonder Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: Lace Doilies, dimensionals (c) Stampin’ Up!
If you click on the images below, you can see the items used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
New catalog items don’t appear yet.
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Projects You Might Enjoy
Click on a picture below to view the post about that individual project.