It’s Your Time Snow Place Penguin
I just adore this penguin stamp from the Snow Place stamp set. I use him all year round, he’s just so fun and cheerful! Now that it is closer Christmas I can start using all of the cute little winter accessories that go with him and perhaps even break out his little snowman friends. Maybe.
Okay, I know that when you hand make tags and cards you have to start early. I can manage thinking about Christmas in September, but the thought of snow makes me shudder. Maybe we’ll save the snowmen for another month.
This tag was inspired by Stamp Ink Paper Challenge #66!
This is a great challenge to help people stretch their boundaries, especially if they are like me and mostly stick to cards. I don’t often make 3D projects or home decor pieces, but a tag I can definitely handle! This is the perfect timing to start working on Christmas tags, too!
Custom Folded Tag
I wanted to make a tag that opened up to show who the gift was to and from on the inside. Kind of like a card, but definitely not a card, because it is a tag. Stampin’ Up! has a small folded tag in the Cheerful Tags Framelit set, but I wanted something big enough to put this little penguin on, so I made my own.
I designed the tag shape in Adobe Illustrator then cut it out using a Cricut Explore Air. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of this post you’ll find the image that I used, feel free to make some tags yourself!
How to Make a Penguin Card
- Cut out tag shapes in Real Red, Whisper White, and Old Olive using the Cricut Explore Air.
- On the Real Red piece, stamp the Merry Christmas sentiment in Real Red and the snowflakes using Whisper White Kraft ink.
- On a piece of Whisper White paper, stamp the penguin image in your favorite black ink. I usually use Memento Tuxedo Black, but make it extra dark with a Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker.
- Color the penguin’s feet and beak with a So Saffron Stampin’ Write Marker.
- Stamp the scarf with Old Olive. Color in the white spaces with a Real Red Stampin’ Write Marker.
- Cut out the Penguin and the scarf with the Snow Friends Framelit dies.
- Fold the Whisper White part for the tag. Trim the back side to match the curve in the front with a pair of scissors.
- Assemble the three tag layers and adhere.
- Add the penguin to the front of the tag with dimensionals.
- Add a ribbon to the top of the tag.
Classic Christmas Colors
These are pretty classic Christmas colors. Technically red and green are a complimentary color scheme, but these colors are so ingrained in our collective society’s memory that we can hardly think of anything else but “Christmas” when we see them.
Cardstock: Real Red, Old Olive, Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Whisper White Kraft, Real Red, Old Olive (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Snow Place stamp set (c) Stampin’ Up!
Dies: Snow Friends Framelit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Basic Black, Real Red, So Saffron Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: dimensionals, white ribbon
Free Tag Pattern for Cricut
I recommend opening this image in a new tab in order to save it at its full resolution. Then you can upload it into the Cricut Design Space and start cutting! If you use this pattern, I would love to see what you have made with it!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Cards You May Enjoy