Sneak Peek: Myths & Magic Suite
I think Stampin’ Up! may been in cahoots with Santa, because somehow they found out that what I really wanted for Christmas was a fantasy themed stamp set, a coordinating designer series paper, and teal and lime green glimmer paper. It’s mythical, it’s magical, it’s the Myths & Magic suite!
My favorite subject! My favorite colors! My favorite embellishments! I haven’t even mentioned the coordinating washi tape!
Perhaps it is needless to say, Christmas came a little early to my stamping studio.
This card was inspired by Global Design Project Challenge #116!
Janneke is a super talented designer and one of the top demonstrators from the Netherlands! Janneke has a clean and simple stamping style, where every element of her cards is placed in just the right place for perfect balance and harmony; and that’s not easy to do!
Janneke has a gorgeous paper crafting blog called Happy Stampin’ with a design just as crisp and clean as her gorgeous cards. She posts new inspiration several times a week, and you can bet I’m checking it all the time to see what beautiful new projects she has made! Take a moment to go check it out, follow her or add it to your bookmarks!
Thank you, Janneke for all the inspiration!
Inspiration and Deviations
For my own card, I copied Janneke’s layout and style. I used the same central panel with a border. I used a triangle shaped focal point, swapping in a fussy cut dragon for a tree, and added a stamped sentiment down below.
I also tried really hard to keep this one clean and simple. My usual tendency is to add all kinds of embellishments, but I kept it minimal this time. I actually too my cue from Janneke’s wreath card to add just a few little embellishments. She used wood stars, while I used the new Adhesive-Backed Sequins. (Seriously, these are the best invention ever. So easy to use.)
I took my color inspiration from the Myths & Magic Designer Series Paper, or rather a very small part of it. The paper has a green, teal, and grey focus, but has a LOT of accent colors.
One last deviation… I had to add a little bit of sparkle to the bottom right corner. I couldn’t resist adding some clear embossed sparkles. That stamp was just too cute not to use.
If you don’t like fussy cutting, turn back now. One of the dragons on the Myths & Magic Designer Series Paper can be cut using a coordinating die, but not this one. And it turned out to be the fussiest of all fussy shapes. I was definitely wishing for an x-acto knife instead of a scissors.
- Fussy cut out a green dragon from Myths & Magic Designer Series Paper.
- Cut a Lemon Lime Twist card base.
- Using VersaMark ink, stamp sparkles from the Magical Day stamp set in the lower right hand corner. Sprinkle on clear embossing powder, tap off any excess, and heat with a heat tool until the powder melts.
- Next, cut a Whisper White panel about 3″ (7.5 cm) wide.
- Dry fit the dragon on the white panel to determine where the sentiment should be stamped.
- Stamp the sentiment from the Magical Day stamp set using Lemon Lime Twist and Old Olive inks. I inked the stamp with Lemon Lime Twist, then sponged the Old Olive on the bottom half for an ombré effect. I recommend using a stamp placement tool like the Stamparatus (or a M.I.S.T.I), because you can stamp it again in the same place to darken the ink if it is too light the first time.
- Adhere the dragon using dimensionals, then adhere the white panel to the card base using dimensionals.
- Cut two thin strips of light green glimmer paper, about 1/4″ (0.6 cm) wide, and adhere them just under the raised edges of the Whisper White panel. Trim off any excess that is too long for the card base.
- Add some Adhesive-Backed Sequins as an accent. I also added one little sequin from the Irridescent Sequin Mix, because there was a slightly smaller sized one. I would like to note that it was not as easy to add as the ones that already have adhesive on the back. For the record.
Cardstock: Lemon Lime Twist, Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Myths & Magic Designer Series Paper, light green Myths & Magic Glimmer Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: VersaMark, Lemon Lime Twist, Old Olive (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Magical Day (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: clear embossing powder, heat tool, Adhesive-Backed Sequins, Irridescent Sequin Mix, dimensionals
Click on the images below to see the materials used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
Links coming soon…
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Projects You Might Enjoy
Click on a picture below to view the post about that individual project.