Shimmery Carousel Birthday Coordination
In a quest to use my very favorite embellishment before it retires, I created a shimmery birthday card using the Carousel Birthday stamp set. I’ve also included a very small sneak peek of two items from the new Stampin’ Up! Annual catalog. Can you spot them?
I’ve also made a coordinating gift package. I find it much easier to make a gift package based on a card I’ve just made than to try and make a gift out of the blue. Sometimes I even have leftover pieces that didn’t make it onto the final card design, but they look great on a gift. The carousel horse was an example of this. I fussy cut him out and (gosh darn it) I didn’t want that effort to go to waste.
This card was inspired by Global Design Project Challenge #083!
I do not need any extra excuses to add glimmer, sparkle, or shine to a project. In fact, I have more trouble reigning it in when it comes to adding sparkly things to a project. Needless to say, I enjoyed this challenge greatly.
My projects today were built around using up my favorite embellishment from the Occasions Catalog. In fact, I liked it so much that before now I hadn’t used it at all yet. GASP!
I fell in love with the baker’s twine from the Cupcakes & Carousels Embellishment Kit upon first sight. How could you not love baker’s twine with GOLD in it? It was the reason I bought the embellishment kit in the first place. Since then, I’ve used every other embellishment from the kit except the twine. I tried to put it on so many projects, but the projects never seemed quite right.
Maybe the cards didn’t work out because the papers are Bermuda Bay and the twine is so muted it looks more like Pool Party. Or maybe none of the cards felt worthy to sport this pretty piece of twine that came in such a limited quantity.
Finally, determined to use it, I built the card around the twine instead of trying to add the twine to a card. This time, the card is definitely worthy.
- First, cut a Pool Party card base.
- Next, cut a Very Vanilla panel 1-1/2″ (3.7 cm) more narrow than the card base.
- Then, cut a strip of Urban Underground Designer Series Paper 2″ (5 cm) wide and the same height as the card base.
- Tuck a Lace Doily, white side up, behind the strip of Urban Underground and adhere both in place.
- Tie two strands of baker’s twine from the Cupcakes & Carousels Embellishment Kit around the Urban Underground panel with a bow just below the halfway point.
- Stamp a circus tent image from the Carousel Birthday stamp set onto Pool Party Paper with VersaMark ink.
- Sprinkle gold embossing powder over the VersaMark ink, tap off any excess (flicking the back of the paper works great), and heat with a heat tool until the powder melts. Then fussy cut out the circus tent.
- Cut out the following: a Gold Glimmer paper medallion using the NEW Eastern Medallion Thinlits, a Whisper White cloud using Up & Away Thinlits, and a Pool Party label using the Decorative Label Punch.
- Dry fit (arrange without gluing) the medallion, label, cloud, and circus tent along with a tassel from the Cupcakes & Carousels Embellishment kit. Adhere them in place using liquid glue for the medallion and dimensionals for the other elements.
- Take extra care to make sure the tassel is secure. I cut my dimensional so the tassel would be anchored both inside and outside the ring AND used glue dots.
- Adhere the front panel to the card using dimensionals.
When you have multiple layers adhered with dimensionals, make sure that the lower layers have dimensionals positioned directly under the dimensionals for the upper layers. This added support ensures that your card doesn’t get squished in an envelope!
- Cut a strip of Very Vanilla cardstock 1-1/4″ (3.1 cm) wide and 11″ (29.7 cm) long.
- Score the strip at 1-3/8″, 3-1/2″, 5-5/8″, and 7-3/4″ (3.5, 8.9, 14.3, and 19.7 cm).
- Wrap the Very Vanilla strip around the Clear Tiny Treat Box. Glue the two ends together. One end will be slightly longer; trim off the excess.
- Next, cut a strip of Urban Underground DSP 3/4″ (1.8 cm) wide and at least 11″ long*. Adhere this strip to the Very Vanilla strip, creasing the designer series paper as you go around the box. Trim off any excess.
- Adhere a small piece of a Lace Doily, white side up, just under the edge of the Urban Underground paper on the top panel of the box.
- Punch out a Very Vanilla label using the Decorative Label Punch. Fold this over the top of the box flap and adhere it in place. I left it a little longer on the back so I’d have room to write a small To/From label.
- Stamp a carousel horse from the Carousel Birthday stamp set onto Pool Party Paper with VersaMark ink.
- Sprinkle gold embossing powder over the VersaMark ink, tap off any excess (try flicking the back of the paper), and heat with a heat tool until the powder melts. Then fussy cut out the carousel horse.
- Use a gold clip to attach the carousel horse to the top of the package. Gold Library Clips are coming soon in the new Stampin’ Up! Annual Catalog. The one I have used is very similar to what will be available.
- Tie a tassel onto the gold clip using bakers twine. The tassel and twine are both from the Cupcakes & Carousels Embellishment Kit.
- Don’t forget to fill the box with delicious treats!
*If you want to use a designer series paper stack for this technique, use two strips of paper that are 6 inches long instead. The seam will be on the bottom of the box where no one will see it.
Sophisticated Color Combination
In my last post, I mentioned that I really love bright colors. Many times more muted colors seem boring at first. It has taken me some time and some practice using the colors from Stampin’ Up!’s Subtle family of colors to get to really know and love them.
They do seem a little more sophisticated, especially when you add fancy things like gold accents and doilies. In any case, I do really like how these colors turned out. Maybe I’m more grown up than I thought.
Cardstock: Pool Party, Very Vanilla, Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Gold Glimmer Paper, Urban Underground Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Carousel Birthday (c) Stampin’ Up!
Punches and Dies: Decorative Label Punch, Up & Away Thinlit Dies, Eastern Medallion Thinlits (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: heat tool, gold embossing powder, Gold Library Clip, Clear Tiny Treat Box, Cupcakes & Carousels Embellishment Kit, dimensionals, Lace Doilies (c) Stampin’ Up!
If you click on the images below, you can see the items used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Cards You Might Enjoy
Click on a card to view the post about that individual card.