Quick Christmas Card Idea with Jolly Friends
It’s not too late to make your own homemade Christmas cards! I had a few minutes of free time between running here, there, and everywhere and managed to make this simple card very quickly. It would be very easy to make several at once for Christmas cards or in a pack to give as a gift.
I have quite a few Christmas cards at this point, so I chose to make this Jolly Friends card a thank you instead, but it would be easy to change out the sentiment for something more seasonal.
Coloring Stamped Images
When you color stamped images, the type of ink you stamp with should be opposite the type of ink you color with to avoid smearing or bleeding.
- Memento and Stampin’ Up inks are water based, so use them with alcohol markers, such as Copics.
- StazOn ink is alcohol based. Use it with water based mediums, such as watercolors or water based ink markers such as Stampin’ Write Markers
Confession: I broke my own rule here and stamped with Memento and colored with Stampin’ Write markers. Since the image is small and was quick to color, there was a minimal amount of smearing.
- Cut and score a Whisper White card base.
- Cut a piece of panel of Whisper White 1/2″ (1.2 cm) more narrow, but the same height as the card base.
- Cut two strips of of A Little Foxy Designer Series Paper about 3/8″ (0.9 cm) wide. Optional: color on top of the Smoky Slate stripes with an Island Indigo Stampin’ Write Marker to better coordinate with the coloring on the fox.
- Adhere the DSP strips to the edges of the card and trim off any excess.
- Using Jolly Friends stamps, stamp a fox face and a scarf in the center of the Whisper White panel with black ink.
- Use a Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker to connect the fox’s face to the scarf so he has little shoulders instead of a floating head.
- Color the fox using Stampin’ Write Markers. I used Calypso Coral and Tangerine Tango on his face and Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, and Island Indigo on the scarf.
- Stamp the sentiment from Jar of Love stamp set with black ink sideways next to the fox’s scarf.
- Adhere the white panel to the card base.
Designer Series Paper Tip: Try customizing designer series paper by adding your own colors to it with markers. That way, it is easy to get a paper that perfectly coordinates with the colors you are using.
A Foxy Color Combination
This is a complimentary color combination, meaning the colors are opposite each other on the color wheel. Complimentary colors naturally have a lot of contrast, which makes them more vibrant when they are placed next to each other.
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Cardstock: Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: A Little Foxy (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: StazOn Black, Memento Tuxedo Black
Stamps: Jolly Friends, Jar of Love (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Calypso Coral, Tangerine Tango, Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, Island Indigo Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other Cards You Might Enjoy
Click on a card to view the post about that individual card.