Playful Pals Circus
It feels like a bit of a circus at my house right now, but I finally found some time to make cards! I loved the circus theme from Global Design Project this week, so I couldn’t resist entering again.
I started with fun circus colored shapes from the Playful Pals stamp set in the background and built up to the adorable Carousel Birthday circus tent in the foreground. I love how the bright colors and cheerful images came together; this was such a happy card to make!
This card was inspired by Global Design Challenge #079!
This is my second card entered in this challenge. It was just too fun not to play again!
I was also inspired by Carolina Evans of Studio Evans, an extremely talented artist with an amazing eye for coming up with bright and beautiful color combinations. She made a background for one of her cards using the shape stamps from Playful Pals (though the colors for this particular card were mandated by a challenge).
Here’s the card that inspired mine:
Carolina’s background looked like so much fun, I had to give it a try! Then I had to try it again a couple more times (spoiler alert for later this week).
Thanks, Carolina, for all the inspiration!
- First, cut and score a Whisper White card base.
- Next, cut a Watermelon Wonder panel 1/4″ (0.6 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Then, cut a Whisper White panel 3/8″ (0.9 cm) smaller than the card base.
- On the Whisper White panel, stamp triangles from the Playful Pals stamp set in So Saffron, Pool Party, and Watermelon Wonder inks.
- Adhere the stamped panel on the Watermelon Wonder panel.
- Cut a strip of Whisper White 1″ (2.5 cm) wide. Stamp the sentiment from Carousel Birthday on the strip in Watermelon Wonder.
- Next, cut a strip of striped Tasty Treats Designer Specialty Paper about 1-3/8″ (3.4 cm) wide.
- Adhere the two strips to the stamped background panel with dimensionals. Trim any excess off the ends of the strips.
- Cut a lace doily in half. Tuck the doily in behind the sentiment strip and adhere it in place.
- Stamp a circus tent from the Carousel Birthday stamp set onto So Saffron cardstock with Watermelon Wonder ink. Fussy cut out the tent, then adhere it above the sentiment with a double layer of dimensionals.
- Die cut out a couple of small clouds with the Up & Away Thinlit Dies. Attach these to the card using dimensionals cut in small pieces.
- Finally, adhere the front panel to the card base.
Solid Shape Stamping Tips:
Sometimes it can be difficult to stamp solid shapes perfectly. Here’s some tips that can help!
- Always use a stamping pad or mouse pad under your paper when stamping, especially with photopolymer stamps.
- Ink up the stamp evenly by tapping the stamp gently on the stamp pad; always look at it to make sure it is covered!
- Practice on scratch paper before stamping on your background.
- Don’t worry too much about it being exactly perfect! This is a background after all, so a lot of it will be covered up! Some imperfections are to be expected on a handmade card, as well. They are made by a real person; it’s part of what makes handmade cards special!
Primary Circus Color Combination
Primary colors and the circus go together like peanut butter and jelly. I chose these colors for the bright and festive mood they evoke… which is probably also why we see them so often at the circus!
Primary colors are also great in a card background with overlapping shapes, because no matter which shapes you overlap, it will mix to make a new bright color! The same would not be true if I used secondary colors (orange, green, and violet) because when any two of those colors mix they make brown.
Cardstock: Whisper White, Watermelon Wonder, So Saffron (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Tasty Treats Designer Series Specialty Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Watermelon Wonder, So Saffron, Pool Party (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Playful Pals, Carousel Birthday (c) Stampin’ Up!
Dies: Up & Away Thinlit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: dimensionals, Lace Doily (c) Stampin’ Up!
If you click on the images below, you can see the items used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Cards You Might Enjoy
Click on a card to view the post about that individual card.