This card was inspired by Mojo Monday challenge #450.
Recognize that paper? It is It’s My Party Designer Series Paper by Stampin’ Up! with a few modifications. Here’s what it normally looks like:
I learned some interesting things about colors while making this card. I figured that Cucumber Crush could adequately cover the Crushed Curry Balloons, and it did, but the resulting color was very close to Old Olive and not very much like Cucumber Crush at all. Similarly, Elegant Eggplant + Melon Mambo = Rich Razzleberry.
I love how changing the colors completely changes the feel of a paper, even though the pattern is the same. Without the color change, this penguin would have been headed off to his niece’s birthday party. With the new colors, he’s heading instead to a snazzy New Year’s celebration.
This is the first time I tried to use actual string, thread really, instead of drawing or stamping balloon strings. Here’s how I did it:
- Put a glue dot on the back of the balloon, just above the neck of the balloon.
- Secure the end of the thread on the glue dot, leaving a little bit of a tail.
- Wrap the long end of the thread around the balloon neck, secure once again on the glue dot.
- Create a small loop so thread is now pointing downward, secure one last time on the glue dot.
- For added security, add another glue dot on top of the thread like a glue dot sandwich.
- Attach the dimensional that holds the balloon on top of the glue dot sandwich so there is no space for it to wiggle loose.
If all that doesn’t hold it, I don’t know what will.
I used Post-It Notes on the penguin’s neck so the tie would only appear on the white part of the penguin. I love his little tie! I never in a million years would let my husband out of the house wearing this tie… but somehow it looks adorable on this little guy!
Tips for ribbon:
- Melt the ends with a lighter so they don’t fray.
- Have one piece of ribbon go all the way across the card and tie a second, separate piece around it.
- Secure a single knot with glue dots so it doesn’t come untied.
That’s all for today, happy stamping everyone!
This is a classic “cool” color scheme.
Cardstock: Basic Black, Pool Party, Whisper White, Bermuda Bay (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: It’s My Party Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Stamps: Snow Place Stamp Set (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Elegant Eggplant, Cucumber Crush, Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, Basic Black, So Saffron, Old Olive, Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Punches and Dies: Balloon Bouquet Punch, Snow Friends Framelit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: Glue Dots, Dimensionals, Generic Purple Ribbon, Gold Thread, Vellum