Irresistibly Floral for My Darling
Today’s card features a beautiful stamp from the Falling Flowers stamp set that I have shaded using Stampin’ Write Markers to give it added depth. Even though is it flat, it looks three dimensional! I have paired it with Irresistibly Floral Specialty Designer Series Paper.
You may notice that this card is very similar to yesterday’s card in color and materials. I was trying to use the shaded Falling Flower image I had made and my card took a little detour and became something that didn’t even have my shaded flower on it at all! That was yesterday’s card. Today I went back to the drawing board and this time ended up actually using my flower.
This card was inspired by Freshly Made Sketches Challenge #262!
This sketch is so awesome, there are so many possibilities for cards to make with this! The design team made especially gorgeous examples this week, too. For my card, I turned the sketch sideways and added a bit of a border. The sentiment wouldn’t stick to the embossed designer series paper, so I stamped it on vellum with Staz-On.
Shaded Flower Directions
- Stamp the flower onto Pool Party cardstock with black ink.
- Add shading to about 2/3 of each petal with a Pool Party Stampin’ Write Marker, making sure to shade the areas closest to the center of the flower. Make sure the strokes of your marker follow the line of the petal!
- Next, add shading to about 1/3 of each petal with a Bermuda Bay Stampin’ Write Marker. Again, keep the shading close to the center of the flower.
- For the darkest of the shadows, use just a touch of Basic Gray in the deepest crevices of the petals.
- Finally, add highlights to the flower with a white gel pen or white colored pencil.
- Fussy cut the flower out.
- Use a Basic Black Stampin’ Write marker to color the cut edges black. This hides the thin outline of Pool Party paper that would otherwise have been visible and gives the flower a very polished look.
- Cut and fold a card base in Whisper White.
- Cut a Basic Black panel 5/8″ (1.5 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Cut a piece of Irresistibly Floral Specialty Designer Series Paper 3/4″ (1.8 cm) smaller than the card base. Sponge Pool Party and Bermuda Bay ink onto this sheet using circular rubbing motions to blend the colors.
- Cut a strip of Basic Black cardstock 1/2″ (1.2 cm) tall and the same width as the Basic Black panel. (I usually just trim it to the correct size after it is adhered.)
- Cut a strip of Vellum 1″ (2.5 cm) tall and the same width as the Basic Black panel. Use Staz-On to stamp the sentiment from Happy Birthday Everyone in the lower right corner.
- Adhere the Vellum strip using snail adhesive on the upper edge, then adhere the black strip over it, so the adhesive is hidden. Trim any edges as necessary.
- Wrap a piece of gold Baker’s Twine around the black strip and adhere it on the back of the panel with a dimensional.
- Adhere the shaded Falling Flower image to the black strip using a dimensional.
- Add additional dimensionals to the back of the black panel. Make sure there is a supporting dimensional directly behind the flower. Adhere the panel to the card base.
A Familiar Color Combination
This is the same color combination as yesterday, because I stole the background that was intended for this card and used it for something else. Since I wanted to match my flower, we are revisiting this cool color scheme today. It’s so pretty, anyway.
I promise, tomorrow will be something completely different. (It’s not even a card!)
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Cardstock: Basic Black, Whisper White, Pool Party (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Irresistibly Floral Specialty Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Staz-On Black
Stamps: Falling Flowers, Happy Birthday Everyone (retired) (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Pool Party, Bermuda Bay, Basic Gray, Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: white gel pen, dimensionals, vellum, gold twine (from the Baker’s Twine Trio Pack) (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other Cards You Might Enjoy
Click on a card to view the post about that individual card.