Foxy Friends in a Boxy Card
Foxy Friends is one of my favorite stamp sets, especially combined with Christmas! The adorable animals you can make with it are so cute peeking out from behind trees or popping up out of gift boxes! I couldn’t resist using it especially with this bold pine tree pattern!
One for One Card Swap
This card has traveled all around the country as part of Brian King’s one for one card exchange. I’m not huge into swaps because you have to make so many of the same thing, but I LOVE the idea of swapping just one. It’s so exciting to wait for the mail to see which card got sent back to you!
After all the cards are mailed in, Brian organizes them photographs them, and shares them all on his blog. It’s so exciting to see what projects everyone sent in; it’s tons of inspiration all in one place! Plus the person who received your card usually comments, too, so you can find out where it went!
It’s too late to participate this year, but you can still enjoy looking at everyone else’s super inspiring projects and maybe get some ideas for holiday cards!
The Mitten Inspiration
This card was also inspired by the story The Mitten, a Ukrainian folktale about a lost mitten and how several animals (of increasingly large size) share the mitten to stay warm. It’s a classic story that even has a YouTube video of the story read aloud.
To make this card, first check out my tutorial for how to make a box card base. Then come back here for directions on how to decorate it!
- First, create a Whisper White box card base.
- Front panel and fox: Cut ONE piece of Merry Little Christmas Designer Series Paper 4-7/8″ by 3-7/8″ (11.6 x 10 cm).
- After sponging, cut the front panel in half at 1-15/16″ (5 cm). Adhere the front panel to the front flaps of the card, lining up the papers so the tree patterns.
- Stamp two fox stamps on Whisper White cardstock with Tangerine Tango ink. Fussy cut out the tail and boxy, leaving just enough of the head to attach a different head. Use the fox builder punch to punch out the head from the second stamped image.
- Draw or stamp on black eyes and a nose. I lost my favorite set of fox eyes from this stamp set (wah!), so I drew eyes and a nose instead with a Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker.
- Stamp a set of Pool Party mittens using the Smitten Mitten stamp set. You can die cut them out if you have the coordinating dies, but this is also a pretty easy shape to fussy cut.
- Arrange the fox and mitten with a Basic Black Shimmer Ribbon crisscrossed over the two front panels. I figured out what I wanted the ribbon to look like then cut it at the gap then adhered all the pieces separately. When the card is closed it looks like one ribbon, but there are actually three pieces!
- Attach the fox and mitten with dimensionals. Note that the fox can only have dimensionals under the left half of his body so the card doesn’t get stuck closed!
- Add Clear Faceted Gems as an accent. Side note: I love these gems for winter cards because they look like snowballs!
- Inner panel: Stamp the sentiment from Watercolor Christmas in black ink.
- Use layering circle dies to cut out the sentiment and a coordinating Basic Black scalloped circle shape.
- Adhere the circles to the inside of the card.
- Add the second mitten to the inside of the card along with a piece of Pool Party Solid Baker’s Twine. (Mittens attached through the sleeves with a piece of string are the smartest thing ever invented, saving parents hundreds of dollars per year on replacements for lost mittens.)
- Back of card (not shown): Cut a piece of cardstock 4-7/8″ by 3-7/8″ (11.6 x 9.9 cm) and attach it to the back of the card. You can write your message here!
Cardstock: Whisper White, Basic Black (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Merry Little Christmas Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Tangerine Tango, Pool Party (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Watercolor Christmas, Foxy Friends , Smitten Mitten (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker (c) Stampin’ Up!
Dies and Punches: Layering Circle Framelit Dies, Fox Builder Punch (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: Clear Faceted Gems, Basic Black Shimmer Ribbon, Pool Party Solid Baker’s Twine, dimensionals (c) Stampin’ Up!
Click on the images below to see the materials used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Projects You Might Enjoy
Click on a picture below to view the post about that individual project.