Today’s card was created for Stamp Ink Paper challenge #58!
I clearly took some liberties with this sketch. I used a dinosaur shape instead of a rectangle and my sentiment doesn’t actually have any words and got moved up. The point of the challenge is to be inspired, though, and I definitely was!
This is a pretty wild color combination. It has lots of bright colors and lots of contrast. With dinosaurs as a focal point and a sentiment that requires zero ability to read, this is the perfect card for a kid birthday, valentine, or a just-because-I-love-you card!
This type of color scheme has a couple different names including “split complementary” and “compound harmony” color schemes. It is similar to a complementary color scheme, which has two colors on completely opposite sides of the color wheel, such as blue and orange, but trades out one of the colors for the two colors on either side of it, such as yellow orange and red orange. The layout of colors looks a little like a fork, with a handle on one side and two or three tines on the other side.
If I had followed this color scheme type really strictly, I probably would have picked Tempting Turquoise instead of Night of Navy. As you can see, my fork shape got a little crooked.
I love this bright and bold color scheme! This image was created with one of my favorite color tools on the internet: Adobe Color CC. This tool allows you to input your own color codes (such as official Stampin’ Up hex values) and see how they work together. You can also select different types of color schemes and move one of the colors to watch all the colors move in relation to each other. This is a great tool for finding colors that work well together! Try it out!
This color scheme is so active that the rest of the card can be very simple, which makes it easy to make. If you want to try making this card for for your favorite dinosaur loving person, here’s how. All products mentioned are from Stampin’ Up!
- Cut a standard sized card (5-1/2″ x 8-1/2″ OR 4-1/4″ x 11″) in Watermelon Wonder, crease, and fold in half.
- Cut a Whisper White panel at 5-1/4″ x 4″.
- Cut a piece of Pumpkin Pie colored Fiesta Birthday Designer Series Paper at 5-1/8″ x 3 7/8″.
- Cut a piece of polka dot patterned Floral Boutique Designer Series Paper at 1-3/4″ x 3-7/8″.
- Stamp a dinosaur from the No Bones About It stamp set in Real Red. Fussy cut with a thin white border.
- Stamp a heart filled word bubble from the Foxy Friends stamp set in Watermelon Wonder. Outline with a Night of Navy Stampin’ Write Marker. Fussy cut out with a thin white border.
- Assemble using your favorite adhesive. Add dimensionals behind the dinosaur and word bubble.
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Cardstock: Watermelon Wonder, Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Fiesta Birthday, Floral Boutique Designer Series Papers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Watermelon Wonder, Real Red (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Night of Navy Stampin’ Write Marker (c) Stampin’ Up!