Delightful Daisy Patterned Fox
While there are many new things that I’m excited about in the new catalog, like the gorgeous Delightful Daisy Designer Series Paper, I’m equally excited about some of my favorite things that are carried over from the old catalog. I am really happy, for example, that the Fox Builder Punch is back for another year!
Whenever a new catalog comes out, it is fun to pair up the old with the new. I already loved making solid colored foxes with the Fox Builder Punch… but look at the magic that happens when you cut out patterned paper!
Speaking of punches, I was sad to see the Decorative Label Punch retire… but I think I like the new Pretty Label Punch even more. It has kind of a cloudlike shape that perfectly fits so many sentiments. I’m going to get a lot of use out of this punch, for sure.
I love all the amazing things you can do with dies, but something about punching out paper with a great big “ka-chunk” is just so satisfying.
This card was inspired by Global Design Project Challenge #089!
This color combination has a lot of great potential for bold designs and would work great for a floral card. So what did I do? I steered as far away from bold and floral as I could go and went with a softened version of the colors scheme for a fox themed baby card. I just have to be different, I guess. 😛
- First, cut a square Whisper White card base.
- Next, cut a piece of Old Olive striped paper from Delightful Daisy Designer Series Paper that is 1/4″ (0.6 cm) smaller than the card base. Try to use a lighter colored part of the paper.
- Adhere the Old Olive paper to the card base.
- Then, die cut a large circle shape from the lightest colored page of Wood Textures Designer Series Paper using Stitched Shapes Framelits.
- Stamp the sentiment from Bookcase Builder onto Whisper White cardstock using black ink.
- Line up the sentiment in the center of the Pretty Label Punch by looking through the bottom of the punch. When it is centered, punch it out.
- Using the Fox Builder Punch, punch out a head, body, and tail from the Calypso Coral sheet of Delightful Daisy Designer Series Paper, punch out the face and tip of the tail from Whisper White cardstock, and punch out a nose from Basic Black cardstock.
- Stamp the eyes onto the white fox face using Foxy Friends stamps or draw two dots with a Basic Black Stampin’ Write Marker. (I drew mine.)
- Assemble and adhere the fox and the sentiment on the stitched circle. Use dimensionals to add extra depth behind the sentiment, the head, and the tip of the tail. (The base of the tail is glued flat so it looks like it is attached to the fox.)
- Lay a piece of Calypso Coral Ombre Ribbon in a zig zag across the card. Adhere it in place in the middle using diemenionals.
- Then, use dimensionals to adhere the Wood Textures circle to the card base (some are already holding the ribbon, but you may need a couple more).
- Add some light colored Old Olive Glitter Enamel Dots as accents.
Complimentary Color Combination
Old Olive and Calypso Coral are very nearly complementary colors, meaning they are on opposite sides of the color wheel. Complimentary colors naturally have a lot of contrast with each other, which means the colors can clash because that difference really stands out.
In my card, I used lighter watercolored versions of both colors from the Delightful Daisy Designer Series Paper. The lighter intensity and the faded watercolor wash look give these colors something in common, which unifies them and makes them look like they go together, even though they are opposites. The softness of these colors also makes them perfect for a baby card!
Sometimes contrast is a good thing, because it can help part of an image stand out as the focal point. Making a card is always a balancing act between finding the right amounts of contrast and unity!
Cardstock: Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Wood Textures Designer Series Paper Stack, Delightful Daisy Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black
Stamps: Bookcase Builder (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Basic Black Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!
Punches and Dies: Fox Builder Punch, Pretty Label Punch, Stitched Shape Framelit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: Calypso Coral Ombre Ribbon, Glitter Enamel Dots, dimensionals
Click on the images below to see the materials used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Projects You Might Enjoy
Click on a picture below to view the post about that individual project.