This card was inspired by two challenges, the first is CASology Challenge 209!
The second is CAS(E) This Sketch Challenge #183!
This is my 100th post and I am so excited! To celebrate I used an old favorite and a brand new favorite in this congratulatory card. My old favorite is watercoloring, so you’d better believe I was excited that a watercolor challenge popped up at CASology just in time for my 100th post! My new favorite is… rhinestones! I’ve never used these before on a card, isn’t that crazy?
I started this card by doing a watercolor wash over an entire 4-1/4 by 5-1/2 piece of watercolor paper. If you are thinking that these colors look a lot like the colors I used in my For the Birds cards from earlier this week, you would be absolutely correct! I also shared a bunch of watercolor tips on that post, I don’t want to bore you by sharing them all again, so if you missed them, check out that link!
I trimmed two strips of my watercolor washed paper at 3/4″ wide and adhered them to the edges of my card. I use the remainder of the paper to punch out four balloon shapes using my Balloon Bouquet Punch from Stampin’ Up! I tried to line up the balloons on the card so they matched the gradient change on the edges of the card.
I laid out the balloons on the white panel where I thought they would be placed then used a clear photopolymer stamp from the Bravo stamp set from Stampin’ Up! for my sentiment. The great thing about photopolymer is that it is clear, so you can see exactly where you are stamping. That helped a lot with this card, where placement was really important for the overall balance.
I popped up the balloons and the entire central white panel on dimensionals. When popping up a shape this big, don’t be afraid to use a whole bunch of dimensionals! You do not want a card to get smashed in an envelope and arrive flattened!
When I have two layers with dimensionals on top of each other, I always make sure that I add an extra dimensional on the bottom layer right behind the dimensional on the top layer. For example, in the spots where I had a dimensional behind one of the balloons, there is also a dimensional right behind it underneath the white panel. This helps prevent envelope squashing!
Finally, my 100th card I shared with you all needed a little something extra to make it special; it needed just a little bit of sparkle! I broke out these rhinestone accents for the first time just for the occasion. These already had adhesive on the back, so they were super easy to stick on! The hard part was figuring out exactly where to put them. Balance is important. In this case I put three small rhinestones on one side and two larger ones on the opposite site for a nice asymmetrical balance.
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Cardstock: Whisper White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: watercolor paper
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Daffodil Delight, Blushing Bride, Watermelon Wonder (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Bravo stamp set (c) Stampin’ Up! (retired)
Punch: Balloon Bouquet (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: paintbrush or Aquapainter, rhinestone accents, dimensionals