A Birthday with Beetles and Bugs
Beetles and Bugs stamps make great masculine cards. They are sized perfectly for stamping patterns and can either be the star of the show or make great textured backgrounds.
I have two male friends with birthdays next week, so this card is going to be heading straight for the mailbox! My friend loves backpacking, camping, and all things outdoors. I hope this will bring him happy thoughts of the woods when it is cold and snowy outside.
It’s Sale-A-Bration at Stampin’ Up! For every $50 you spend, you earn a free product from the Sale-A-Bration catalog. There is no other way to get these products; you can’t buy them, only earn them!
As an added incentive, I’m also hosting an amazing giveaway. You have a chance to win an awesome prize package that includes a brand new stamp set from the Occasions catalog AND a priceless handmade card made by me. You can enter by subscribing to my blog OR by using this month’s host code. For every $10 you spend, you are entered in the drawing!
That means if you spend $50, you earn a free gift from Stampin’ Up! and you will be entered in my prize drawing five times.
This card was inspired by Stamp Ink Paper Challenge #82!
My natural elements include burlap ribbon and bugs! Okay, so the bugs are not actually real, but they are inspired by nature.
This card was also inspired by Freshly Made Sketches Challenge #271!
This was a great layout for a clean and simple card. Since I didn’t want to cover up the edges of my masked design, my stripes are represented by my embellishments and my sentiment.
As a fun side note, the looping Baker’s Twine was inspired by the hairstyle of the character Ms. Lemon from the Hercule Poirot television and movie series. It was one of my family’s favorite series to watch when I was growing up.
- Cut and score a Crumb Cake card base.
- Next, cut a Basic Black panel 1/8″ (0.3 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Cut a Whisper White panel 1/4″ (0.6 cm) smaller than the card base.
- Mask off the upper and lower portions of the card so only a rectangle is showing (this will become the orange rectangular area). I covered my card with sticky notes and used washi tape to create a straight, crisp edge. Stick the washi tape to your pants before sticking it on your card. This makes it a little less sticky and therefore less likely to tear the card when you peel it off.
- Inside the masked area, sponge Peekaboo Peach, Daffodil Delight, and Pumpkin Pie inks.
- Stamp a large beetle from the Beetles and Bugs stamp set in triangular patterns with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
- In the spaced between the large beetles, stamp smaller beetles. Turn your stamp or your paper each time to each beetle is facing a different direction.
- Remove the sticky notes and tape.
- If desired, add a little shading to the beetles by coloring them with a Sahara Sand Stampin’ Write Marker.
- Stamp the sentiment from Happy Happenings in Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
- Put down a line of adhesive across the top left edge of the beetle-filled rectangle. Loop the baker’s twine several times, using the adhesive to hold it in place.
- Fold a small piece of burlap ribbon, lay it across to cover the adhesive and staple it to hold it steady. Add a glue dot behind the opposite side if it doesn’t stick well with the line of adhesive.
- Adhere the layers to the card base.
Bright Birthday Color Combination
This is almost a Halloween color combination. If there were pumpkins on this card instead of bugs, it would be a Halloween color combination. I like the bold contrast of the orange against the black, especially for a masculine card that is actually colorful!
The Crumb Cake base really pulls this card together, even though it is such a thin border. I started with a Pumpkin Pie base, but it was so much orange a traffic cone would have looked pale in comparison. The Crumb Cake mellows it out a little and ties in the burlap as part of the color scheme and not just an afterthought.
Cardstock: Whisper White, Basic Black, Crumb Cake (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Pumpkin Pie, Peekaboo Peach, Daffodil Delight (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Beetles and Bugs, Happy Happenings (c) Stampin’ Up!
Markers: Sahara Sand Stampin’ Write Marker (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: sponge, Burlap ribbon, Solid Basic Black Baker’s Twine (c) Stampin’ Up!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Cards You Might Enjoy
Click on a card to view the post about that individual card.