How to use the Baby Wipe Swipe Technique
My card today features a new technique for creating fun painterly backgrounds. I used the Baby Wipe Swipe technique to create a thank you card with Pick a Pumpkin, perfect for Halloween and the harvest season.
Gather Your Supplies
The Baby Wipe Swipe technique requires a few basic stamping supplies, plus baby wipes, of course! Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- glossy white cardstock
- a stamp
- VersaMark ink
- 2-3 colors of ink refills
- Baby wipes (alcohol free, unscented)
Baby wipes are an awesome addition to your craft room. If you don’t have some already, you’ll be glad to have them! I clean all my stamps with baby wipes before scrubbing them off on a stamp cleaning scrubber. They are also great when you get ink on your fingers, but you’re in the groove and don’t want to stop stamping to wash your hands!
Regular Cardstock Variation
Using glossy white cardstock gives the background a soft and subtle look. Regular white cardstock results in a much brighter color and the ink colors don’t blend as much at the edges when applied with a baby wipe. If you like your colors really bright, try using regular cardstock instead!
If you use regular cardstock, the white images in the background won’t show up as well. You’ll need some additional supplies to make those images visible. Make sure to gather up these supplies as well:
- white embossing powder
- a heat tool
The Baby Wipe Swipe Technique
Once your supplies are gathered, you’re ready to get started!
- Using VersaMark ink, stamp your image in a pattern over a piece of glossy cardstock. The ink is clear on white paper, so tilt your cardstock at an angle and look for the shiny stamped images to check where you’ve already stamped.
- Regular cardstock variation: sprinkle white embossing powder over the stamped images, tap off any excess powder, then heat with a heat tool until the powder melts.
- Glossy cardstock variation: let the VersaMark ink dry for several minutes for a clearer stamped image.
- Use ink refill bottles to put 2-3 drops of each color onto a non-porous flat surface, such as a piece of plastic, a silicone craft mat, or a large acrylic block.
- Fold a baby wipe half three times so you have a much thicker wipe.
- Wipe up the ink drops with the folded edge.
- Swipe the baby wipe across the cardstock in straight lines. The dried ink (or embossed images) will resist the ink from the wipe leaving a white image and a striped background. Ink on glossy cardstock will look bright at first and will fade over the next several hours.
- First, cut and score a Tranquil Tide card base.
- Next, cut a piece of Glossy White cardstock 3/4″ (1.8 cm) more narrow than the card base.
- On the glossy white cardstock, use VersaMark ink to stamp a pumpkin from the Pick a Pumpkin stamp set in a pattern. Let the ink dry for a few minutes!
- Put 3 drops each of Pumpkin Pie, Calypso Coral, and Melon Mambo ink on an acrylic stamping block. Wipe up the ink with a folded baby wipe.
- Swipe the baby wipe across the glossy white cardstock in horizontal strokes. Let it dry.
- Adhere the glossy panel to the card base.
- On Whisper White cardstock, stamp the sentiment from All Things Thanks in Tranquil Tide ink.
- Die cut the sentiment with a stitched square from the Stitched Shapes Framelit Dies. Align the die at a slight angle to the sentiment.
- Cut a second stitched square of the same size from Tranquil Tide cardstock.
- Use dimensionals to adhere the two squares and a small piece of Tranquil Tide Finely Woven Ribbon to the card. I try to align my sentiment so it is straight, even though the square it is stamped on is at an angle.
- Use liquid glue to adhere a leaf shaped Touches of Nature wooden embellishment.
Cardstock: Tranquil Tide, Whisper White, Glossy White (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Pumpkin Pie Reinker, Calypso Coral Reinker, Melon Mambo Reinker, Tranquil Tide, VersaMark (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Pick a Pumpkin (c) Stampin’ Up!
Dies: Stitched Shapes Framelit Dies (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: alcohol free baby wipes, dimensionals, Tranquil Tide Finely Woven Ribbon, Touches of Nature Elements (wooden embellishments) (c) Stampin’ Up!
Click on the images below to see the materials used to make this card in my online store. Each purchase you make there helps support Stamp Witch Blog!
Thanks for visiting and happy stamping!
Other Projects You Might Enjoy
Click on a picture below to view the post about that individual project.