The layout for this card was inspired by Freshly Made Sketches challenge #237.
I chose a bright happy color scheme, pulled out my Cupcake Builder punch and went to town.
I love washi tape. LOVE IT! With this tall skinny layout, I knew it would be perfect for washi tape, like the Hello Honey striped Washi tape I used here. To be honest, I built this entire card around this one element. This is my thought process while making this particular card (and to be honest is a pretty typical example of how I come up with card ideas).
- I like Washi tape! I like THIS washi tape. What other colors do I have that would look good with this washi tape? Yellow and… blue! Yeah, that’s good.
- Ooh, this sentiment is the right shape! Okay, it’s cupcake themed, let’s put a cupcake on there. Hey look, those sprinkles look like polka dots! I have polka dot paper!
- Man, my polka dot paper has Very Vanilla polka dots and my paper is Whisper White. Oh well, I’ll put it on there anyway. Maybe no one will notice. 🙁
- Man, I only have blue on the cupcake, I wish I had some blue on the border somewhere so it would all tie together. 🙁
- …20 minutes later… Oh my gosh! I can COLOR the polka dots blue! Why didn’t I think of this sooner?! 😀
Tip: Don’t forget that you can alter your Designer Series Papers to suit your needs by coloring on them! It’s fun and it adds a personalized touch.
Another Tip: If you want to have part of a sentiment on a shape that is punched out, like I did above, it is easier to stamp the sentiment onto the paper first THEN punch it out.
Yet Another Tip: It gives a little added depth to add some diagonal shade lines on punched out shapes. It is also super easy. Just draw little diagonal lines along the bottom and one side. They don’t even have to be straight! I used the same color Stampin’ Write Marker as the paper.
Cardstock: Whisper White, Hello Honey, Pool Party, Pacific Point (c) Stampin’ Up!
Paper: Pretty Petals Designer Series Paper (c) Stampin’ Up!
Ink: Pacific Point (c) Stampin’ Up!
Stamps: Create A Cupcake stamp set (c) Stampin’ Up!
Other: Dimensionals, 2014-2016 In Color Washi Tape, Pool Party and Pacific Point Stampin’ Write Markers (c) Stampin’ Up!